Footscray: My Home away from Home

After over 24 hours of world travel and experiencing everything that could have possibly gone wrong in a day I came through so much stronger. My first days being in Melbourne, or rather the suburb Footscray, was rocky. I left the airport with only a backpack with a few snacks and a change of clothes as my luggage had gotten miss placed on my transfer flight. I didn’t feel fully settled in until around day 4 of being in Aussie. I got my luggage met all my 5 flatmates and was ready to call Footscray my home away from home.

The first week was filled with meal planning, meeting the other residents in my apartment building, grocery shopping and lots of long nights and early mornings due to jetlag. The culture shock for me happened when I first crossed the street and looked the wrong way. Australians drive on the opposite side of the street and car as we do so it took a minute to get used to.

Overall, the first week was a roller-coaster ride but I can finally see Footscray as my home away from home. It has only been a week, but I have this feeling that I have been here for months. It seems like I have always lived here which is such a reassuring feeling. I am now preparing to start class and settle into my new routine as an Aussie college student.

When it comes to academics, Victoria University uses a block scheduling system, meaning you have class 1 class or unit 3 days a week for 3 hours each for 4 weeks. After those 4 weeks, I will be switching to a new class. This method allows students to focus their energy on a single subject at a time.

I am excited to plan trips to see all that Melbourne and Australia have to offer. I have just returned home from a trip to Anglesea and the Great Ocean Road with other international students at my university. It was such a great experience. Australia is such a beautiful country with amazing activities such as surfing, Australian football, spotting wild kangaroos and koalas and so much sightseeing. I can’t wait to see what is in store for me next.