My Host Family

After a long week of traveling the Sierra (the northern part of Ecuador), we finally arrived to the cost to a city called Sambróndon, Ecuador where the University and our new home is located—which is minutes away from Guayaquil, Ecuador-the biggest city in all of Ecuador. As we are approaching the campus, our director of the program tells us that our host families are sitting in university auditorium waiting patiently for us. As soon as she said that, I began to feel my anxiety level increase. I began to feel extra hot and felt as though my heart was going to rip out of my chest. I was very nervous and many thoughts were running through my mind.

We all lined up in a single fill line and walked into the room where all the families were. I immediately spotted my host mom and dad. The mom looked very anxious as well. At that time I felt as though my mom had no idea what I looked like because when my name and the families name was called out, she immediately got up and looked very surprised. The look in her eyes was shocking yet pleased to see me. She along with my host dad immediately came to me and hugged me. For a moment there I felt like an orphan child who was immediately given a family for the first time to be nurtured and cared for. I was very happy and so were they. We walked outside the auditorium together to grab my suite cases and head home. On the way home in the car we were able to chat a little to get to know each other. Upon arriving home they showed me around there huge home and then to my room.

Later on that evening, my host sister came home with her cousin and soon came into my room and the three of us began to chat and get to know each other. The girls got very comfortable and very happy that we had a lot of things in common. After the 3rd day, we felt like we all knew each other from a long time ago.

I have to say that even though it has only been 4 weeks with living with them, I feel like I’ve known them my whole life. They are very open and warming to me, making me feel like I belong in the family. I still haven’t experienced homesickness because the family has been so welcoming and catering to my every need.