Southern Italy, Part II

We have been all through Sicily, moving every 2-3 days or so. Now on the 3rd day in Naples.

My favorite places in Sicily were Agrigento and the Valley of Temples, as well as Castellammare del Golfo, a small coastal town. We also visited Selinunte and saw the ruins there, and the highlight of that day was a swim in the Mediterranean.

Palermo was a bit intimidating, but I liked the restaurants. If you are going to take the overnight ferry from Palermo to Naples as we did, I highly recommend spending the extra Euros for a room on the upper decks, with windows. We were in the cabins down below with no windows, and it was so hot and stuffy I could not stay down there for more than a few minutes. Did most of my sleeping on a bench in the open air.

Yesterday, we visited Pompeii and Oplanis, a nearby city that was buried in mud. The wall paintings were very well preserved and as a painter, it was something special to see the ancient works. The villa of mysteries at Pompeii was breathtaking.

I wish I could upload a picture, but the wifi is still extremely slow and I’m just hoping this post will make it through.

To be continued…!

Pacione is a native Hudson Valley fine artist and poet who has been writing poetry for nearly two decades, reading her impassioned work throughout New York since 1995, and oil painting since 2010. Her poetry and paintings center around the complexities of the human subconscious and how dreams manifest in life on the surface. She is currently pursuing a MFA in Painting at SUNY New Paltz.