First week of school!

This was my last first day of school… Ever! The university of Sevilla was originally built as a tobacco factory but then they turned it into the department for philology, geography and history. Incredible building. I’m taking 4 classes for my last few Spanish major credits: culture and society of modern Spain, gastronomy of Spain, the image of Spain behind the cinema screen and intro to Translation. The classes are taught in Spanish but when I first heard the professors talking they used the vosotros form which they only use in Spain and I had never learned before. But the professors know we’re American students so they make sure to enunciate their words and not speak too quickly. I really like my Cinema class and the Translation class is really interesting because I’m thinking about going into that as a career. Class is two hours, twice a week and for the most part we don’t get much homework. The midterm is worth 40% of the grade, participation/attendance is 10% and the final is worth 50%. Definitely different from my school in the US. I usually take the metro or ride a bike to school depending on if I’m running late or not. After this semester is over I’ll be done with undergrad! Then into the real world… or back to Europe 😉

Molly is a fourth year student at SUNY New Paltz with a major in Spanish and a minor in Latin American Studies. She is excited to explore the culture of Spain and to add another interesting element of her studies of Latin America and Spain.

Next ArticleArrival to España!