NYC bound…Bye Kingston!

Tomorrow is my flight back to NYC and it sure is a bitter sweet feeling. As of right now I am very excited to see my family and eat some American food although I feel like I am leaving apart of me here. Jamaica has shown me some much in just this month. I have learned Jamaican Patois/ Patwa and eaten amazing beef patties, rice and peas and jerk chicken. I have truly immersed in Jamaican culture by being here for one month, that was the perfect amount of time for me.

One of the hardest things for me is saying bye to the friends I have made at UWI (University of the West Indies) and knowing I wont see the children at the YMCA again. Without all the campers and friends I made this trip, the trip wouldn’t of been so amazing. The hospitality and generosity I have experienced here is infectious.

I know in a couple of days I will experience reverse culture shock and miss Jamaica so much!

Just a tropical picture for you all! (French Mans Cove)

Things I will miss:

1. YMCA campers
  2. Jamaican friends
  3. The squad being all together
  4. Mangoes
  5. Guineps
  6. RED STRIPE (Jamaican Beer)
  7. My water brand being “WATA”
  8. The blue mountains
  9. Our driver Mr. Micheal
  10. Palm trees
  11. & much more.

I am beyond appreciative for this opportunity and for the Gilman Scholarship that I received to come on this trip. This was an unforgettable experience.

ONE LOVE TO ALL MY JAMAICANS!

#StudyAbroad #Jamaica #SabInJam

The video below is from Chronixx taking place in Kingston. We visited a lot of these places in the video! Awesome.

Hello Everyone. My name is Sabrina Bergas and I am a senior at SUNY New Paltz. MY major is communications with a concentration in public relations. I am studying abroad in Jamaica in the Summer 2016. I love to create blogs, Imovies and package stories. I am very excited to dive into the Jamaican culture while incorporating my media skills by documenting my journey. In the future, I plan to travel abroad a lot and work for a media company.