The First Time

Happy July 4! Except not, because I’m in London and they really don’t do that here. It is my first time being in a European country, so that’s exciting. When I first got here, it was strange because it hadn’t felt too much different. I expected it to be in your face, like WOW this isn’t the US! It really wasn’t the case. It was still quite different though because the little town we’re in along the Thames River is still quite small and sleepy feeling at times. I was excited, but the excitement didn’t really hit till I went into the heart of London. Seeing Big Ben, seeing the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament, it was just so surreal. My friend told me I would love it here, and I hate to admit that he is absolutely right, although I probably wouldn’t want to prove him right again 😉 Riding the tube just drove the whole point of it being surreal home. “Mind the gap!”

A little comment that I wanted to make though was since this is right after Brexit and the EU referendum happenings and the prime minister resigning, etc, it is a very interesting environment to be in. In central London especially, sometimes you can see little hints of unrest, but peaceful unrest. Other than that, it seems to be business as usual.

As I’m finishing this blog on our July 4 in the USA, it is 10pm here at night. I actually hear fireworks and it is nice that although I had class today, it’s still a little reminder of home.

I'm Kirsten and a Senior studying abroad at Kingston University in London for Summer 2016! I am an International Business major here at SUNY New Paltz. I enjoy traveling and have visited family and friends in the Philippines and Hong Kong. Hopefully with my degree I get to travel and work close to my home in New York City.