Leaving Madrid with a heavy heart

As I get ready to leave Madrid I am mixed with multiple feelings. I am excited and happy to see my family and friends back in New York but I am filled with incredible sadness at the thought of leaving the beautiful city of Madrid and all of my wonderful friends behind. It will be one of the toughest things to do to say goodbye to all of my friends. I have such an awesome life in Madrid and have seen so many beautiful places and met so many people. It is the people that I met that I will remember most when I look back on this trip. Each and everyone one of them has left a mark on me and hold a special place in my heart. I know that all things have to come to an end but this is one thing I didn’t want to end. I truly feel that my study abroad changed me for the better. I learned that I am capable of being completely on my own in a foreign country. I came on this trip with one goal and that was to truly be myself with each and every person I meet. I matured so much by living on my own, paying my own bills and rent and taking care of myself 100%. I like who I am and who my study abroad has helped to make me. I’m not ready to end my study abroad I want to continue exploring and I am certainly not ready to leave my friends but I will take everything I’ve learned on this trip with me when I return to New York.
I never thought this trip would have such a large impact on me. I got so incredibly lucky my friends from Madrid I know for a fact will be friends that I will have for a lifetime. Some of them have already started planning to come visit me in New York for my 21st Birthday. I am already counting down the days until I can see them again. We all spent our last week together every single day doing fun things throughout the city. Our last night out together was the toughest night there was not a dry eye in our group as we hugged each other on our last group trip to McDonald’s on the corner of Sol. I will never forget these people they’ve all left their mark on me in one way or another and I hope that I have done the same.

Katelyn, I major in digital media production and minor in Journalism. I am ready to set forth on my biggest adventure yet, to learn all about the Spanish culture. I can’t wait to study film and journalism from a whole different perspective. It has always been a dream of mine to travel the world and this is the first step in fulfilling my dreams.