Home

It’s been a little over a week since I’ve been home and adjusting has been a little more difficult than I had imagined. The past five months have been some of the best and I’m so happy and grateful I had this experience. I was unbelievably sad to leave Granada and everyone that I met, but as cliché as it is, I’m happy I had such a great experience that made saying goodbye so hard.

I spent most of my first week being back in bed trying to get over the jet lag and looking through all of my pictures from my trip. I found myself wide awake at 5 in the morning, which turns out to be the best time to try out and cook all of the Spanish food that I tried while abroad. Eventually, I became adjusted and stopped freaking my family out by making soup at 6am but I’m still forcing my sister to try all of the food that I make.

As happy as I am to be home, there is so much I miss about Spain and the culture. I find myself constantly comparing my life now to how it was when I was abroad. I miss speaking Spanish everyday and living in a new country. I even miss small things like hearing “hasta luego” and having a siesta. It’s true that studying abroad taught me a lot about myself and the world, but I think the most important thing I learned was that I’m definitely not done travelling and learning new cultures. Studying abroad has strengthened my love for exploring new places and learning new cultures and has also given me the motivation to do whatever possible to ensure I can to travel more.