Happy Birthday to Me and the King!

It’s Sunday night and my program ends in less than a week. I cannot believe that I have spent almost 4 months in Europe! Time has gone by so quickly and it is is crazy to think about everything that has happened. We had a reflection week where we went to programs that my program director put on which was good for really thinking about what it will be like to be back but I am still in denial! It will feel real when I step off the plane and I’m in the USA. Everything will immerse me. Everything may be the same but I’m so different and I feel like it will be different. I feel like I’ve grown so much.  I have so much to say about my journey and how much it has impacted me overall but I will post another in-depth post about my journey.

This week has been so hectic- I had the majority of my finals due and on top of everything, it was my 21st birthday! However, I didn’t get to spend it going out with friends because I had so many finals due this week… The perks of being born on finals week. This weekend though I went to a wine festival which was right next to the beautiful Vltava River. There was music and everyone was just hanging out and having a great time on such a beautiful day. Spending the day, just enjoying my last weekend was friends was exactly what I needed to recharge after a long week. We even went on a boat across the water. I didn’t realize that it was included in our transportation pass!

letna

charles bridge letna

So this weekend was King Charles IV 700th birthday!! (He was King of Bohemia and the Holy Roman Emperor. The university I’m attending this semester is named after him!) So, I decided to just celebrate my birthday with him and made his party, my party!! There was a huge party for him in Letna Park, which is known for it’s huge metronome (There was a statue of Stalin that was there instead before the Velvet Revolution when it was torn down). It’s one of my favorite parks in Prague because it overlooks the city and it’s a great place to get out and go for a walk. During the celebration, there were fireworks, bands, djs, and just people hanging out and dancing. There was a huge project of the wall where someone was drawing cartoons of King Karel doing random things as well as other cool forms of art. And LASERS! They fanned out from the metronome to different buildings around the city! Everyone was there to celebrate and have a good time! A perfect way to spend my last weekend in Prague, among the locals!

So Happy Birthday to me in this beautiful place called Prague!

Alyssa, a psychology major with a concentration in psychobiology, is excited to spend the semester in Prague, Czech Republic. In the hopes of adventure, she wants to meet new people, learn a new language, try new foods, and travel whenever she gets the chance. She can't wait to experience the culture of a different place!