The Adventure Awaits

Should I bring the second half of my closet that I haven’t touched in over a year? It’s obvious now that it would be a terrible idea, but my mental state during the packing process was allowing me to completely disregard any shred of common sense I had.

I don’t think I had more than a few minutes to think about anything other than my trip to Madrid the week before I left. I had countless lists going—mostly all to-do lists, just different versions (yes I was that scatter-brained…packing is stressful!). Pack cold medicine just in case, call the bank, double-check the phone plan, exchange dollars for euros, etc… To say I was overwhelmed would be a laughable understatement.

In a vain attempt to squash the bubbling anxiety of my upcoming journey, I scrolled through Twitter posts and came across this quote:

“You get a strange feeling when you’re about to leave a place. Like you’ll not only miss the people you love but you’ll miss the person you are now at this time and this place, because you’ll never be this way ever again.”

I don’t think I could have found a better way to explain how I was feeling. Everyone tells you that going abroad changes you. It makes you more independent, cultured, and overall different. Through all the anxiety the preparation of for this new adventure, I barely had time to dream of all of the great things ahead. Even so, I knew they were there.

Jaimee is an English/Education major at SUNY New Paltz heading off to Madrid, Spain to be immersed in an entirely new culture. Studying abroad has always been a goal of hers, and she is excited to experience the adventures Spain and Europe have to offer. She hopes to try new things (and foods), meet new friends, and improve her Spanish-speaking skills along the way!