6. Crossing back through the Platform

Being home from London has been such a blur. It was insane having to jump right back into everything the very next day, between auditions, callbacks, classes, rehearsals, and normal everyday activities. My first day waking up in my bed in New York was disorienting. I couldn’t remember where I was. For the first few days it was so strange to think that I wasn’t going to see a show on the West End that night, or that I wasn’t just a tube ride away from Big Ben. For a while I was still convinced that if I walked outside I’d be on Bedford Place.

It’s been a little sad being away from that gorgeous city, and I think about it constantly. I think about what an incredible honor it was to go on that adventure, and how I absolutely need to go back some day. It truly was better than I ever could have hoped, and I made some of the best memories of my life.

Overall, I really feel more knowledgeable about where I am in the world. I got a taste of a new way of living, and it has made me so much more excited about exploring my own backyard. I’ve seen so little of my own country, and all it has to offer. I plan on taking a trip to visit my cousin in California, because I’ve never been there before. I feel so much more confident about traveling, airports, and finding my way around new areas. I’m even considering taking another shot at tackling NYC subways (which I would usually avoid at all costs.)

All I can say is that if a student here has the opportunity to take the seminar, I could not possibly encourage it enough. It was completely fabulous, and an incredibly unique, educational growing experience. My memories from London will stay with me forever. I can’t wait to start working on my scrapbook, and maybe, just maybe, one of these days I’ll actually unpack my suitcase….

My name is Amber Neilson, and I'm a senior Theatre Arts major. Traveling is my new favorite thing, as I've spent most of my life in the Hudson Valley. I love to sing, act, and direct, and I'm a Harry Potter fanatic!