it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas in Madrid

Usually in December,whether at New Paltz or at home, I am reminded that Christmas is suddenly approaching. Houses are lit up on every block,radio station’s are spreading holiday cheer, and every food store I walk into sells red and green m&m’s, panettone, and christmas cookies. This is what I think of christmas: bright and colorful decorations, endless array of christmas chocolates and cookies, and most importantly family and friends.
This year, however, it does not feel like Christmas. The other day on Facebook someone posted that they were sick and tired of all the holiday music. Already you are complaining? It is December 10th and I haven’t even heard a holiday song yet! I have to say though, as it gets closer to December 25, I am reminded more and more of Christmas here in Madrid.
First, Madrid is completely decked out for the holidays. All of the streets in Sol are lit up. Every block has bright snowflakes, ornaments, and more hanging above you as you walk up and down through Sol and Gran Via. All of the shops advertise their christmas deals. El Corte Ingles has snowflake lights on its building and every street’s trees and streetlights are lit.
Plaza Mayor has lights illuminating from above, just look at the picture.

Plaza Mayor December 2015

Plaza Mayor December 2015

There is a christmas market in the Plaza where you can shop for some gifts.

Puerta del Sol has a christmas tree right in the center of the Plaza:
12359653_10206372627653627_1985446612_o

Photo creds to my friend Celeste

Photo creds to my friend Celeste

The department store, El Corte Ingles, has a really cute christmas commercial that they have been promoting this holiday season, here is the link: ¿Cómo empieza la Navidad? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsr5QCaMGck
Below is a picture of how the store is decorates for the holidays: Madrid_ECI_Goya at Christmas

Getafe, the town that Universidad Carlos III is in, has decorated their main shopping strip Calle Madrid with a christmas market. 12322835_10207856749047853_543953596343240274_o

Lastly, since I live in the residence halls, it is apparently a huge tradition every year to have the Cena de Navidad (christmas dinner). It is a huge deal here. All of the residents dress up formally–girls wear dresses and higgles and then males dress in suits and ties. It is a formal sit-down dinner that is housed in the cafeteria. They hire caterers and waiters to tend to the event. It was a really great night. I got to spend it with all the international students that I met and we got to eat some good food too (much better than the regular food they serve everyday at the residence hall).

Erasmus 2015

Erasmus 2015

Christmas time is so magical and I am glad that I get to spend a little bit of my time in December during the holidays in Madrid.

Tiffany will be studying Business and Spanish at Universidad Carlos III in Madrid, Spain. She hopes to improve her Spanish skills during her time abroad, meet new friends, try a lot of new and exotic foods, travel, and experience different cultures while taking many photos along the way.