The Land of Tapas, Sangria, Olives and Siestas: Myths vs Reality of Spain

It’s hard to believe that I have been living in Madrid for more than a month already, and as cliche as it is to say it, time really does fly when you are having fun. In the small amount of time that I’ve been here, my expectations for this experience have been exceeded more than I could have possibly imagined. Having lived in New York City all of my life, it was hard for me to imagine any other city coming close to the grandness of New York. Yet the time that I have spent here has shown me what a vibrant, lively, and culturally rich city Madrid is. I can admit that before I arrived here, while I was excited for the cultural adjustments I would have to undertake, I was also nervous that doing so wouldn’t be easy or quick. I was also blinded by stereotypes and false beliefs that people had of the Spanish. The only culture shock that I’ve had to face since I’ve been here, is how unbelievably kind and welcoming everyone has been.

Gran Via, the 42nd Street of Madrid

In my last post, I talked a bit about my very stressful experience with my first accommodation, which in reality was just a result of my mistake in not looking at the place before I decided to commit to it. But now that stressful time is long in the past, and my new accommodation is better than I could have ever expected. I now live in a cozy apartment with every modern house appliance you could hope for. With the great help of both the housing coordinators here and in New Paltz, I am more than happy of how well accommodation for my stay has worked out.  My landlords are the most adorable old couple I’ve ever met, my neighbors are very friendly and helpful, and the area and street that I live on is really safe and has an amazing European style to it, which I love. These feelings of safety and comfort are some that I tend feel throughout almost all of Madrid, no matter what time of day it is.

Mi Casa!

Mi Casa!

A really interesting part of my experience so far has been taking in all that Madrid has to offer me, and discovering firsthand whether or not the myths and stereotypes of Spain were true. Here go the myths and realities that I’ve dissevered thus far in Madrid, Spain:

Myth: Spanish people love food and love to eat Paella just about every day.

Reality: This is half true and half wrong. It goes without saying that food in Madrid is both plentiful and absolutely delicious. Restaurants are just about in every street you walk down, with many offering traditional Spanish cuisine, but many others also offering more international selections, some even offering “American-style cuisines” that help if you get homesick. For breakfast, you can get a delicious churro con chocolate that consist of a warm sugared churro with a cup of hot and fresh chocolate, go to any cafe or fast food spot for your typical bacon and egg sandwich, or just have a delicious a cup of cafe con leche which is the popular choice for locals. Coffee is extremely popular here, and if you aren’t a fan a strong-tasting coffee, make sure to order it “con leche” and not “corto” or “solo.”

Churros con Chocolate: A Delicious and Sweet Breakfast, or a very late night/ early morning snack.

Lunchtime does follow the popular belief, in that it is easily the biggest and best meal of the day. It’s usually eaten between 2:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon, and most restaurants offer a first and second plate, both of which are huge and delicious dishes, bread, a drink, and a dessert, all for about 10 euros. As for dinner, many people usually small sandwiches or tapas, which are small appetizer-like dishes that you can find almost anywhere in the city.

Just an example of a lunch in Spain. This is also just the first course.

The half wrong part goes to people in Madrid eating paella everyday. Although you can find paella in some restaurants around the city, Paella is mainly a traditional dish in Valencia, Spain, which I was lucky enough to visit for a weekend. It was undoubtedly one of the greatest dishes I’ve ever had, in a city that had a very different feel from Madrid, yet was very fun and beautiful nonetheless. If there is any kind of traditional dish in Spain, it would probably be the Spanish tortilla, which is composed of egg, onion, and potato.

At Plaza de la Virgen at Valencia. Literally the greatest paella on this planet.

On a side note, a highly recommend having a bocadillo de calamari, which I have probably already had around 50 of since I’ve been here. They are inexpensive and impossibly delicious.

This is bae.

Myth: Spanish people love to party drink and there are bars and clubs everywhere.

Reality: This is probably 95% true. It took a little bit of getting used to seeing beers available at Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, and McDonalds, but the bars in Madrid are plentiful and a lot of fun. Yet Madrid is also a city full of hard-working and/or non-drinking individuals who go about their business and fun in other ways. As for the nightlife, the time to start going out begins around 12 am or later, and with the Metro stations shutting down at 1:30 am, many tend to party up until 5 am or later, on an average night. The nightlife in the city is incredible, very safe if you are careful enough, and full of friendly people. Wine bottles take up multiple aisles and shelves in every market there is, and it is easy to identify and embrace the very festive atmosphere of Madrid.

I wasn't kidding, there's beer everywhere.

I wasn’t kidding, there’s beer everywhere.

Good times at one of the many clubs in the city.

(I am in no way endorsing the consumption of excessive alcohol consumption while on a study abroad experience. Everything is better in moderation, and please make sure to focus on your studies if you happen to study abroad one day.)

Myth: Everyone is Spain dances flamenco and loves bull-fighting.

Reality: Very inaccurate. It wasn’t until I arrived here that I discovered that flamenco is actually a dance native to the south of Spain. While I have come across some flamenco lounges and restaurants throughout the city, they aren’t as easily accessible, or as inexpensive, as you would think. This city offers a huge abundance of recreational activities and beautiful parks for you to occupy your free time. The Prado Museum for example, is an amazing place to visit and it houses some of the most magnificent and important artworks in history. By just walking down Gran Via, one could catch a comedy show, watch a play, enjoy a marathon or other kind of weekend sporting event, do some shopping at their favorite store, or simply catch up with a friend at an outdoor cafe. And as for the music and dancing, one visit to any club or bar will show you Madrid’s love for all kinds of music and dance.

Instead of visiting a bar, you can go for a row at the beautiful Parque de El Retiro.

A better view of the lake.

A better view of the lake.

I mentioned it briefly in my last post, but bullfighting here is nowhere near as popular as one would assume. In fact, it has become a highly controversial issue, with many animal-rights activist groups and anti-bullfighting associations that are currently protesting against the practice. I will admit that there various cringe-worthy and controversial aspects of the sport, and I personally felt like one visit was enough to have the experience and get the idea of what it’s about. It’s a completely optional visit to anyone who visits.

There are so many more myths and realities I would love to share, but I’m realizing now that this post is getting really wordy. Overall, my cultural adjustment into this city and my study abroad experience has gone more than well. There have been some lessons I’ve learned the hard way, and some lessons that I learned with ease and convenience, but so far this has been an experience that I could never forget. One of my biggest fears of studying abroad was that I would arrive in a country where no one would understand or help me, which would result in be getting lost or into danger. But I strongly encourage anyone who has that similar fear to get over it immediately, since there are tons of people both in your home university and new university abroad that are ready, willing and able to help you out. Be ready to meet so many new and awesome people, and make some of the greatest memories you could ever make in your life.

Hasta Luego,

Aaron Marrero

Aaron, a Political Science major and International Relations Minor, has wanted to experience a Study Abroad opportunity in Europe, with hopes of also enhancing his Spanish-speaking skills. He is thrilled to take political and international courses in Madrid, Spain this upcoming semester!