First day of class

Today was the first day of classes and I didn’t know what to expect at first. I went to the room a little before 9:30 and there was only one other girl there. We waited and waited and about 5-10 minutes later, the professor and the other students came. I guess it isn’t that important to be on time in Spain. My classes are from 9:30-11:30 and then 12:00-2:00. Although it seems like it would be a long time it went very quick. The class is also pretty easy. To me, it seems like beginner spanish instead of intermediate spanish. We simply went over vocabulary and played games like one truth and a lie. During our break I went to the cafeteria with the girls from my class and got something to eat. At many places here they have naranja natural which is natural orange juice. They squeeze it right there and it is the best tasting orange juice I have ever had.

Tomorrow is La Espicha which is a party for all the university students. The region of Asturias is very famous for La Sidra which is apple cider, but fermented. La Espicha is a party near barrels of cider and they also will have tapas which is food for everyone to share. I am excited to find out what tomorrow will be like.

My name is Ashely Sirna. I am a junior at SUNY New Paltz and am double majoring in Spanish and psychology with a minor in disaster studies. This summer I am studying abroad in Oviedo, Spain for two months. I am very excited to learn about the culture and improve my Spanish!