Cultural Adjustment

Hello Again! I have been having an amazing time in New Zealand. One of the biggest adjustments for me was the cultural adjustment. I have never been to New Zealand before so I had no idea what the cultural adjustment was like for me. The adjustments have ranged from different names of food, to the accents, and to people driving on different sides of the road. Fun fact there have been numerous times where I almost got hit by a car just because I looked on the wrong side of the road. Another adjustment for me was how they call ketchup tomato sauce. I was at a a barbecue eating a sausage, so I poured ketchup on it, but little did I realize that tomato sauce was a lot sweeter than ketchup. Also when you use it you are not supposed to pour a lot on, as what we do with ketchup and mustard. I also had some difficulty with understanding people with their accents, but I have become used and have a full understanding of it. During my first few weeks I had difficulty understanding what people were saying when I asked for directions or when I ordered my food. This happened when they asked if I wanted sugar with my tea, and I still had no idea what they were saying, so they had to spell out sugar for me.

Another cultural adjustment that I have enjoyed was the different types of ethnicities in New Zealand. In the United States the predominated ethnicities are African-Americans and Latinos. In New Zealand there are many different ethnicities with Pacific Islanders, Maori people, and people from Asia as well. This is unique for me as I get to learn more about different ethnicities with my Maori culture class and the different languages spoken as well. It is also good to hear that because of all the different ethnicities people have not dealt with discrimination.This stuff is too sweet for meThis stuff is way too sweet, but it does taste good.

My name is Ethan Fogg and I am junior who is double majoring in Sociology and Black Studies. I hope to meet and learn more about my Kiwi family in New Zealand, and study race relations in New Zealand too.