Sightseeing in Nagasaki: Mt. Inasa and the Confucian Shrine

Since my trip to Korea, the past couple of weeks have been kind of boring. I’m sorry to say this, but it’s true. I’ve been focusing on school and doing a little bit of sightseeing around Nagasaki in my free time.
One of the first things I heard about when I got here, was the incredible night view of Nagasaki City from Mt. Inasa. I even brought a package of post cards and half of them were images of Nagasaki City from Mt. Inasa. So naturally I thought that I would have to experience this myself. I went with a few people and we climbed maybe a quarter of the mountain. We hadn’t planned on climbing it at all actually. We had originally wanted to take the ropeway up because it’s free and because it’s kind of hot here. But we ended up taking a bus halfway up the mountain instead.

The view did not disappoint!

When I first got here, during Orientation, there was a presentation on this history of Nagasaki. There are two things that I took away from that presentation. The first being that there is a long history of Chinese culture in Nagasaki, as China was one of the few countries that were allowed to trade with Japan during its period of isolation. Second that there is a great Catholic influence (there are several churches and other Christian sites). We have yet to hit all of these sights in Nagasaki, but we’re working on it. We did however get to see the Confucian Shrine, Chinatown, and what was the former Chinese settlement: