A Slow Week

Ipanema Fair

Ipanema Fair

Second Week in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and I have started to get used to my regular week schedule. Last Sunday, I went to a hippie fair in Ipanema, apparently it takes place every Sunday and they sell things like: paintings, clothes, jewelry, shoes, etc. It is a nice place to buy souvenir at a bargained prices. Later during the week I got sick: since its their winter, it was rainy, wet and cold, I including several other people in the group got sick and we spend two days in bed and visiting the doctor.  Later on we went to Botafogo, one of the site visits for our class, it was fun and interesting. Fun because we got a tour of the club, the places they practice and the arena they practice in; plus, we got a presentation on the marketing they do and it was quite interesting. Apart from that we as a class have been learning Portuguese in PUC and it is nice because we get to or at least try to have a conversation with the locals here. This class has really encouraged us to start conversing in Portuguese even if it is a sentence or two. I have also been meeting many new people here and have gotten use to this area now. I feel comfortable walking around this area alone and anyone new who comes to the hostel here, I can easily introduce them around the area. Together as a group we have also started to pool in money to buy food and cook for each other. These family dinners (as I like to call them) are a lot of fun, it bonds us all and it also saves us a lot of money, in terms of food. So far I have adjusted to the area here and found my comfort here. Was sick due to the weather but now I am recovering and am ready now to explore Rio de Janeiro further.