Stoked for Jamaica

It seems as though every time I begin preparing for my trip, I ask myself…

Am I really dreaming? Is this for real? Studying Aboard? It can’t be. It must be because I STILL can’t believe that I Laury Veudna, am going to study aboard for a whole month in Jamaica. Never in my wildest dreams, I thought that I would actually be brave enough to apply to  any of the study aboard programs that I saw at New Paltz.  Growing up with two immigrant parents with nothing much to offer but their love and support, was all that I have ever cherished. But as of  Spring 2014, all that has changed because I finally realize that I can cherish much more.

This month and week alone has been my most busiest and successful times in life because I have been preparing for finals, graduation, and preparing to leave for Jamaica. Literally, I feel like I am a chicken that has  its head cut off because I’m running around doing last minute unpacking and packing, shopping, meets and greets and saying my last  farewells to my friends and family all at once. I know what you may be thinking “Laury you are only going to be away for a month”, yet I still cant help but feel that I’m going to be away for more than the time given (credit goes to the enormous amount of clothes that I want to bring).

Overall, I am just so blessed, stoked and nervous  about this  once in a life time opportunity.  Throughout these last two week, I have had my share of tears and smiles with my friends that I have graduated with or left behind at New Paltz. Each of them are excited that I am partaking in such a wonderful experience. The best thing which I wish I could pack  is my family. They have been supporting me throughout this whole process thus far and is continuing to support me. Regardless if they are hundreds to thousands of miles away, I am just so thrilled to know that they are the ones that inspired me to be who I am today, and that upon my arrival back to the states they are the ones that will be waiting for me with open arms.

Hahaha even my cat (Tigger) doesn’t want to let me go!!

017

The expectations I have before leaving this Sunday (June 1) isn’t the same expectations I had two weeks ago (ex. everyone will get along, sightseeing, learning new things etc.) I say this because personally I don’t want to get overly excited about something and the expectation levels aren’t what I wanted it to be. I know that as the days approach my mind and heart will probably cave in and dream of all the possibilities. One major expectation that I WILL follow is to immerse myself into the Jamaica culture and allow the Jamaican culture to teach me new things that I have yet to learn. I guess all I have left to say is… JAMAICA HERE I COME!!!

Books: Knowledge is POWER!!

TPhoto_00090