Week 2: Bacon?

Written (3/1/18)

Australia has been incredible so far. I still have not fully grasped that I am here! That being said there have been some adjustments I’ve had to make. One of the biggest adjustments is getting used to living with five people. Back at New Paltz I have had the same Roomate for almost two years so this is definitely different.

I thought Australians speak English this will be easy! I was wrong. While day to day conversations flow fine there are always a few words I don’t know or I misunderstand. For example, my first day I was given a tour of the residence hall (Unilodge@VU) and was told over there is the ‘lift room’. Now I know that some people call elevators lifts but when I heard lift and room I assumed it was a gym. I was like “wow you guys have a gym?!” In return I received a confused and concerned look. It was the first mistake of many but it is all part of the experience!

Now onto one of the most difficult things I’ve had to adjust to. Food. Don’t get me wrong Melbourne is known as the food capital of Australia and has many great offerings. However, bacon is not one of them. Their bacon is literally ham and it is disgraceful(just kidding). All jokes aside it has been rough trying to find bacon. Also it took me two weeks before I learned how to order pizza. I went to a pizzeria which sold pizza by the slice (which is rare here) and I asked for “a plain slice”. The guy looked at me perplexed. I then asked for a cheese slice. Once again he was confused. Then I said just a pizza with tomato sauce and cheese, finally he responded “we don’t make that here”. I left upset I couldn’t get pizza and thinking what kind of pizzeria doesn’t have a regular slice. Well long story short after talking to my classmates I learned I needed to ask for a margarita slice. I have however discovered that I love Indian food and that there is lots of it here in Melbourne.

It is strange being in a new country. After 20 years in New York City I can maneuver my way around the city, the culture, and the lingo extremely easily. Yet over here it is a whole new experience and that is exactly I was hoping for. People are extremely nice and often go out of their way to help you. One big difference I noticed when it comes to culture/dress is that people don’t go to class in sweats and a t-shirt the way we often do back at New Paltz. So it has been interesting actually putting on clothes for class everyday.

P.S Rice Krispies is known as Rice Bubbles here.

P.P.S You can make CUSTOM KIT KAT BARS!

Indian Dosa

Rice Bubbles

Custom Kit Kats

Where is everyone?