On the Verge Again

I’d like to talk a little bit about the benefits of staying in school a little longer, especially as it relates to study abroad.

If the fear of losing time is a factor, screw it and do it.

I’ve been in school, with one or two semester-long breaks, for about eight years now. This was partly due to extenuating circumstances, partly my taking on a second major at New Paltz, and partly my decision to study abroad. I’ve watched three of my senior classes graduate without me, which has been a wee heartwrenching – that being said, being here longer has allowed me to make more connections with more students and artists, which in the theatre business will be a huge help!

Some of my fears about staying longer in order to study abroad included “But I’ll miss the chance to be involved with the SUNY New Paltz shows this semester!” and “I’ll only be a year older and a year further behind when I hit the streets as an actor – have I got the time to waste?” and “What if I’m just stalling?”

Well if Taraji P. Henson can move to California with a baby and just $700 at 26, and end up starring in Hidden Figures, I know it’s possible for me. And while I was sad to miss the New Paltz shows, I got a chance to see some incredible theatre and gain a foothold and understanding of another country. So trust me – it is not wasted time. Take the time you need to fully experience what you need to! Don’t rush, especially now that New York has made college so affordable for lower-and-middle-income students! Studying abroad is worth it – you get a chance to really take some time and get to know another country, develop your independence while enjoying the safety of an institution, and save money on such an experience. Not to mention in London many things are cheaper for under-25’s, and Brexit has (fortunately for us, less so for them) made it much more affordable for Americans to travel there. So take advantage of that.

Never let the pressures of society keep you from living your dreams. I am better equipped for the world now, because I took the time I needed to grow into myself and become a more prepared, well-rounded person. Have patience with yourself, even as you dare yourself to go further than you’ve gone before.

Now that I’m graduating, once I’ve worked my butt off for a bit, I’m finally going to take that road trip around the country that I’ve always dreamed of. Three weeks. Scared as hell. Can’t wait.

On the verge again.

#NPSocial #NPAbroad

I'm Geneva Turner, and I'm studying abroad this fall in London at Kingston University as a double major in Theatre Arts Performance and Anthropology. I identify as a queer female theatre artist, actor, director, writer, and activist, and I hope to make the world a better place by collaborating with other artists to change the world. I have always wanted to go to London, and am very interested to see not just how the world sees the United States, but also to gain some perspective from people who may view the world differently than I do.