Breaking stigmas about traveling alone & making friends abroad

Someone once said that traveling means nothing if you have no one to share the experience with. Well, that’s one of the most depressing things I’ve ever heard especially since almost all of my traveling has been done alone. I want to break that stigma that you need to travel with someone, that you need to make friends abroad. Traveling alone, living abroad alone, teaches you so much about yourself. Maybe it’s things you don’t like, things you need to improve, but don’t ever let anyone tell you that traveling alone doesn’t mean anything. It may mean more than traveling with people, honestly it takes a lot to be able to spend 5 day alone in a country you’ve never been before. So, take that leap.

You learn to love yourself more, even if you think you aren’t. Making international friends is such an amazing feeling that shouldn’t be played down because making connections all around the world is something of value. But it’s easy to fall into this idea that you must make friends, hey you might not vibe with everyone around you and that’s fine, this is your time. Spend it with those who matter.

Hello, my name is Nicole Cruz and I am in my second year student at SUNY New Paltz. My current major is English with a minor in Art Studio. I love to immerse myself in the natural beauty of the world and I find that I enjoy prose, poetry, photography and paintings; that being said my future career goal is passing down the love of art to others by becoming an English high school teacher. I have been in numerous Museum of Modern Art programs, other art programs, I was the president of the poetry club and I am currently a writing tutor here in SUNY New Paltz.