Academic Adjustment

I am taking two classes at Kingston University. They are very similar to classes at SUNY New Paltz, with two important differences: 1) We’re only here for a month, so everything is condensed. For each class I have two papers, and for one, I also had a 10-minute presentation. We have plenty of time to do the assignments at the end of the day. Most afternoons, we go out into central London for class trips. 2) The class content is applied to UK and London-related topics, so its great to be here and experience the things we’re learning about firsthand. Here are some details:

1. London and its Literature – In this course we’re covering The Beggar’s Opera, Oliver Twist, several Sherlock Holmes stories, Mrs. Dalloway, and several poems about London and the UK. We’ve visited Dr. Samuel Johnson’s House, the Sir John Soane Museum, the Sherlock Holmes Museum, and the Museum of London. My first paper was a 1000-word essay on Mrs. Dalloway.
  2. Museums and Galleries. In this course, we’re studying many aspects of museum work, to include collecting, curating, displaying, and interpreting. We’ve visited the Tate Modern, Tate Britain, the National Gallery of Art, the Albert & Victoria Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, the Serpentine Galleries, the British Museum, and the Kingston Museum. My first paper was a 1000-word essay on the Mark Rothko room at the Tate Modern.

The photo above is of Sherlock Holmes’s study.

I'm a senior second-degree student at SUNY New Paltz. I have a dual-major in art history and creative writing, and I'll be studying abroad at Kingston University, London, during the summer of 2016. I'll be taking a Literature of London course and a Museums and Galleries course.