‘We hope you find something you love’

Clouds consume the day sky most days, a steady stream of rain pouring down on unprepared walkers. The summer leaves have accepted their fate, and lie unchanging on the cement streets. The wind continuously blows, ruining perfectly pinned-up hair, and the sun’s warmth kindly reminds us that summer once was. The changing of seasons has been a prolonged, anticipated moment that seemed to happen in a blink of an eye. The climate, atmosphere, and weather have changed here, reminding me that I too have changed.

I have changed in many ways since being in Australia. I have become comfortable with who I am, I have a confidence in my voice and, I am more determined than ever. But, something happened to me that I could not foresee. I thought coming here would help me narrow my focuses and passions. I thought I would go back to the States and know exactly what I was going to do after I graduated. However, I don’t have that and control is just an illusion.

I have become assimilated with a culture that is less work driven and more passion driven. Through my experiences here, I have come to realize that I am interested in many different things and there is no need for me to limit my interests and narrow my views; I want to connect with people, educate, and create change. I thought I had to follow a straight line in order to do this, I thought I needed to have an end goal-in many ways I do, I want to be a doctor-but I don’t need to follow a path so many have taken before me, I don’t need to follow a path that doesn’t embrace every interest I have.

This realization really hit me when I began running my own speaking group at Victoria University. I was fortunate enough to meet one of the directors, Carla (she is such an amazing, vibrant woman and I’m so thankful for her kindness and enthusiasm), and have her fully embrace my desire to help ESL students. Through speaking with students, I have been able to see the world through their eyes, and have opened myself up to numerous cultural traditions, beliefs, and values. I have walked away so many times excited to share what I learned from my students during one of our sessions. I want to keep educating others, and sharing the knowledge I learn from them; it’s a two way street, and a relationship that facilitates change.

Australia will always hold a special place in my heart, a place where I will go back to when I feel discouraged, lost, confused, at peace or happy. The first day I got here, I saw a sign that said “we hope you find something you love.” That saying has stuck with me this whole trip, something I repeated to myself throughout each day-find something you love. Here, in Melbourne, I found many things I love, and they’re the driving forces that motivate me to create change and inspire others to create change of their own.

Thank you Australia, and thank you everyone who has been a part of this journey.

Hi! My name is Brianne, and I am a Junior at SUNY New Paltz. I’m a Psychology major, with a minor in Evolutionary Studies and Disaster Studies. I am studying abroad in Melbourne, Australia and I’m stoked to share my experiences while there :)