Southern Italy, Part III

I got up early and went to breakfast at 7. I like to take my time in the morning and be on time for class, full, refreshed, ready. I slept well and it’s a good day.

We visited the archaeological excavation of Cumae, today.  It was lovely because it’s the first wooded place that we’ve hiked here.  We saw some smaller temples and the ancient city of Daedalus. Having a lunch-picnic at the Temple of Zeus, under the shade of trees, was very invigorating.

The professor was very thoughtful and generous to buy us food to pack for lunch today.  We were really far from cafes and the like.

After Cumae, some of us walked another mile or so through town and visited a real volcanic crater called Solfatara.  The scent of rotten eggs (sulphur) was strong but it was so cool.

I watched the steam hiss out of the chasm and thought of the Oracle at Delphi, chewing bay-leaves and inhaling the fumes until she was possessed by Apollo, and could give the prophecies.

It is incredible to be here.

Pacione is a native Hudson Valley fine artist and poet who has been writing poetry for nearly two decades, reading her impassioned work throughout New York since 1995, and oil painting since 2010. Her poetry and paintings center around the complexities of the human subconscious and how dreams manifest in life on the surface. She is currently pursuing a MFA in Painting at SUNY New Paltz.