Hidden Treasures of the World

This probably sounds really stupid but if you asked me where Prague is two years ago I would not have been able to tell you. In fact, I wouldn’t be able to tell you where quite a few places I visited were. Maybe I am just ignorant, or maybe they were too busy teaching us how to take standardized tests in school to teach us any geography.

Whatever the case may be I am happy I am now getting to see Central Europe. When else in your life will you go see these places? To see the beauty in Vienna and realize it is a truly magnificent city and no wonder Billy Joel wrote a song about it. And what is there is to do in Hungary, nothing right? Wrong. I could have spent days, weeks, maybe all my life in Budapest browsing the markets and relaxing in the thermal baths.

And let’s not forget the food. I never thought I liked perogies until I went to Krakow and ate proper, fresh ones filled with bacon, spinach, mushrooms, anything tasty—way better than those frozen ones from the supermarket that my dad and brother eat constantly for some reason. And you have not had a good dessert until you have tried a trdelnik, how amazed I was with the concept of a hollow pastry coated with sugar and nuts and filled with ice cream (Why have I been deprived with only Friendly’s ice cream my entire life?)

Everywhere you look here there is beauty, and it is breathtaking every time. America cannot compare to the old and incredible architecture that exists here. Literally, it feels like a story world and we are all the characters living out a fantasy.

To be entirely honest I was not sure where I was going with this blog post when I started it, but writing it made me realize that I am learning so much here. I am experiencing so much about the world that I did not even know existed a short time ago. And it just makes you wonder how much more is out there, what else you have been missing.

And I hope I don’t miss any of it.IMG_1667 IMG_2125

Anne, English major and Journalism and Environmental Studies minor, is enthused to spend a semester immersed in a different culture. She cannot wait to meet new people, visit new places, and share these experiences with others.