Springtime in Praha!

So I decided to take a break from traveling and spend my Easter in my home- the City of Prague! (Although I did end up going on a day trip to Dresden on Saturday!) So you wonder what Easter is like in Prague? Well, prepared to be spanked. No seriously! A Czech tradition involves boys spanking girls with these colorful handmade whips called pomlazka. This is to bring the girl beauty, health and fertility in the coming year. And girls also get cold water thrown on them, so watch out! None of these happened to me so I was not able to fully experience a traditional Easter in Czech Republic but I don’t think I mind…

My favorite part about Easter in the Czech Republic are the lively Easter Markets. They are scattered all throughout the city in the different squares. There are what seems like endless wooden stalls scattered throughout the market squares that sell all sorts of different things such as traditional Czech food like the yummy Trdelniks, polish sausage, homemade baked goods, various blacksmiths making intricate metal work, and artisans who paint beautifully detailed Easter eggs. There are even little pens where you can feed donkeys and sheep. It’s quite a festive time of year!

Easter Market

Stalls at the Easter Market

donkey

Donkey at the Easter Market

I’m most excited because it is finally being to feel like spring! The veil of clouds that have seemed to engulf Prague for my first two months here have lifted like curtains and I’m finally being able to notice the luminous ball of energy called the sun. The sun actually felt bizarre and I was fascinated that I could actually feel the warmth again after what feel like forever. I didn’t know how much I missed it. I hope the weather continues like this! I was jealous when the weather at home was in the 70s and I’m glad that Prague is finally catching up!

blossoms yes

Blossoms in Prague

Enjoying the beautiful weather, I hiked around town, going to the various parks to embrace the much needed break from the city. I absolutely love nature and never thought that I would be away from it for this long. I’ve never lived in a city before; I live my whole life in the country so it has been hard for me to get used to but I’m definitely adjusting. But finally in nature, it felt healing to finally be away from the craziness of city life. My favorite part about spring is to see all of the blossoms come out, it was like it came out of nowhere; instantly there were blossoms everywhere! I have no idea that spring had been fighting against the winter much like I was. But I just hope it stays!

parks!

Everyone Enjoying the Lovely Weather!

Alyssa, a psychology major with a concentration in psychobiology, is excited to spend the semester in Prague, Czech Republic. In the hopes of adventure, she wants to meet new people, learn a new language, try new foods, and travel whenever she gets the chance. She can't wait to experience the culture of a different place!