Blue Mountain

During my Autumn break, my roommate and I spent two days in the blue mountains. Completely engulfed by greens, and hues of blue, we gazed with widened eyes at the mountain ranges that carried for ages. Our minds grew quiet, and our body’s still. Just like the Great Ocean Road, there was an enchanting, memorizing air to the blue mountains. As we began our first hike, smiles were planted on our faces, and giddiness boiling out of every pore. We tested our determination within the blue mountains, hiking up and down 922 steps on 90 degree angle. Least to say, going up and down that many steps, really pushes your body to its last drop of endurance.

The following morning, Alex (roommate) and I got up to watch the sunrise over the mountains. Racing down to the trails, we ignored the cold that was penetrating our skin, and sending chills down our spines. As we arrived at our destination, the sun was just beginning to peak over the far mountains; pinks, oranges, blues, reds, covered the sky and painted the mountains. We jumped over a fence and sat on the edge of rock, watching and listening. Below us, hundreds of birds were calling for mates, crickets were still chirping in the darkness that hesitated to leave, and the hush sound of trees swayed in the passive wind. I closed my eyes, and I began to pray. An act I rarely do, nor find significance in. In that moment, I began to talk to a God I didn’t believe in, and I found meaning in the words that fluttered in my mind. I talked about my gratitude, and how this trip as changed so much for me. I thanked that God over and over again for letting me be here, and experience such beauty. I felt complacent sitting on that rock, embracing the warmth of the sun that was now emerging from the mountains. Rejuvenated, and wary about my rekindled relationship with a God/Creator/Higher Power/Universe, I inhaled the crisp morning air, and continued on my hike.

~

So, the blue mountains were another spiritual experience I had but least to say, being there was amazing and I recommend anyone traveling to Sydney to take a trip out there for a couple of days!

Hi! My name is Brianne, and I am a Junior at SUNY New Paltz. I’m a Psychology major, with a minor in Evolutionary Studies and Disaster Studies. I am studying abroad in Melbourne, Australia and I’m stoked to share my experiences while there :)