First Week In Madrid

Madrid is so much more than I ever expected!I have been here only a week but the architecture and the history of the city is so beautiful it takes your breathe away! One thing I didn’t anticipate was how long it would take to get over the Jet Leg. It has taken me about a week to get over the Jet Leg. The mid day siesta helps a little bit with the sleepiness, that is something I can definitely get used to. My first night here I went to a local bar for crepes and a glass of wine.
I am living in La Latina one of the older neighborhoods in the city center. It is so beautiful, I feel spoiled by the monuments and beautiful architecture at every corner.I am living in an apartment with two other people a girl from New Paltz and a boy from the UK. I live about a 40 minute train ride from my university. The transportation here is incredibly cheap, upon arrival you have to get an Abono right away so that you can use the train, metro, and buses unlimited for only 20 euro a month. The best place to get the Abono or transportation card is at the Tobaco shop in Tribunal, because you do not need to make an appointment.
Abono
So far I have gone to El Parque Retiro twice once on my own jogging.
Running through Parque Retiro
The second time I went was on a picnic with a bunch of other students from my school. We all brought some type of food and spent the day in the park. The people here are very nice and laid back. I was very nervous about making friends here but I found that it is kind of like freshman year in college, everyone is eager to make friends and they’re all so friendly here! So far Madrid has been a blast I’m excited to see what the next four months has in store!

This is a museum within the park you can walk in for free and see all the art work. They are currently showing the work of Wrobleski

Picnic in the Park

Front of the Crystal Palace

This is the back  of the Crystal Palace

This is the back of the Crystal Palace

Picnic in the park

All the students in this photo are from different places all over the world!

Katelyn, I major in digital media production and minor in Journalism. I am ready to set forth on my biggest adventure yet, to learn all about the Spanish culture. I can’t wait to study film and journalism from a whole different perspective. It has always been a dream of mine to travel the world and this is the first step in fulfilling my dreams.