Food in London

I heard that British food was not tasty before I came here. It is no more true these days! I want to explain about traditional English food which I tried!

20160109_093434845_iOS

Full breakfast is English traditional meal of the morning, and it usually includes egg, sausage, bacon, and toast. I went to Masters Diner in the Covent Garden. Here, it is about £6 with a cup of tea. (It was much cheaper than other places!) Some restaurants serve beans too, but the taste is a little different from ones which we eat in the US. Our beans are sweet, but British ones have some tomato taste in them. I also added black puddings, which is a pork sausage with pig’s blood. I was afraid of eating it, but it was not as bad as I heard! (But one slice was enough for me.) Overall, full breakfast is a good morning meal and gives people an energy for a day!

20160109_190215649_iOS20160112_152915208_iOS

Fish & Chips! Is there any British food more famous than this? No! It includes a fried fish, usually cod or haddock, chips (french fries), lemon, tartar source and some vegetable. I ate it twice at different places; first at Rock and Soul Place and second at Ale and Pie. Both were really great! Fish was fresh and juicy and tartar source was excellent. We need to add some ketchup or salt to chips. It is good with beer!

20160110_171130634_iOS

On Sunday, I went to the Covent Garden and ordered Sunday Roast with a glass of red wine. The well known group was playing beautiful classical music in front of me. (How lovely!) The Sunday Roast was about £15, and I had a choice of beef or lamb. I ordered a lamb roast. I was so happy because it was served with Yorkshire puddings!  Yorkshire pudding is an English side dish made of egg, flours and milk. It was one of the British foods I wanted to try. They were more dryish than I expected, but good with the lamb roast very much. Also, the source was great… It was very good with meat, puddings, vegetable and wine.

20160105_160620916_iOS 20160108_153254658_iOS

Scorns! It is usually serves with cream and jam. I ate them  first at a cafe in the Covent Garden and next at the Natural History Museum. They were not too sweet, and usually include some dried fruits. At first, I ordered English tea with it. The scorn was warm and soft and great with tea. It was the best scorn ever. At the Natural History Museum’s cafe, I ordered mocha with it. The scorn was harder than the previous one and cold, but it was still delicious. I thought scorns were more dryish and similar to bread, but it was not true. I love scorns! They have a gentle sweetness which cookies don’t have. I want to try afternoon tea set if I have chance and enough money.

20160111_164133588_iOS

This is Beef Wellington, which “is a preparation of fillet steak coated with pâté (often pâté de foie gras) and duxelles, which is then wrapped in puff pastry and baked (wiki).” It is one of the British foods I want to try during this trip, but it is very very expensive at every restaurant. However, I finally found reasonable Beef Wellington at Harrods! I want to buy and try it before I come back to the US!

Emi Takeyama is an international student from Japan and Graphic Design major. She is excited to take an art seminar class in London.