French food and chocolate what more could I ask for?!

I am so fortunate to be studying in a city like Besancon, which is open-minded about sharing cultural experiences. Two weeks ago, I participated in the first ever “Invitez le monde a votre table”, which in English means “invite the world to your table.” This event gives international students the opportunity to share a meal at a French family’s home.  I went to a French family’s home and ate delicious, authentic French food and conversed about music, our daily routines and family. It was one of the first experiences I’ve had thus far that I was able to eat typical French food.  The family was very respectful, understanding and interested in my culture.  I also got to practice my French and see how much I have improved with my French speaking skills.

Another great experience I’ve had recently was going to a chocolate factory (sorry not Willy Wonka’s but this will suffice)!!!  One of my favorite things that this planet has given us is chocolate and yes indeed did I indulge at this chocolate factory, called Le Criollo. Le Criollo is very popular in Besancon and they have 3 specialties that all have some spices inside of them like ginger and cardamom.    Not many people know this but before Switzerland became the most popular chocolate country but France was actually the first one!  At le Criollo I was given a tour and learned where their chocolate comes from.   I was in chocolate heaven!!

These past two weeks have been filled with lots of great French food and cultural experiences, I can’t wait to indulge in more!

Bonjour! My name is Luisanna and I am majoring in communcations with a concentration in public relations and double minoring in French and international relations. I will be studying abroad in Besancon, France improving my French and immersing myself into the culture. Studying abroad has always been a dream of mine and I want to share my experiences with you all.