Voy a Madrid

As I write this I am sitting in my room surrounded by clutter. My clothes are in piles on the floor and my suitcase is open and half filled with clothes. I leave for Spain in three days! The anticipation is killing me, but at the same time I am extremely nervous. I hate flying. I have never flown transatlantic before. My flight is approximately seven hours. I depart during the night and arrive in Madrid early the next morning. At least I can sleep on the plane. I still have to pack and go to the store to pick up a few more things that I will need for my trip.
This Sunday I will be flying into Madrid and will be arriving at my new home, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. I am super excited! I cannot wait to see the city, experience the culture, try some new food, and speak a little Spanish.
Most of the international students do not arrive until the second of September. However, I am going two weeks earlier to take a 40 hour Spanish Intensive Course. After that I will be taking business classes in English along with another Spanish language class. At this point, all I know is that I will be arriving in Spain Monday morning. From there on, it becomes an adventure. I still need to figure out a way to get from the airport to the school. Thankfully, earlier this summer I signed up for a “buddy” at the school. My buddy will be a student from the school who will be able to assist me with getting adjusted to the school and help me with any questions that I have. So far she has been really helpful with suggesting ways to get from the airport to my school. I cannot wait to meet her and practice speaking Spanish with her.
I have no clue what to expect in the upcoming weeks. It will all be new to me. I almost feel as if I am a college freshmen again–going to a new school for the very first time… The difference is that this time it will be in a different country with a different language. The language barrier is one thing that makes me nervous, but I am willing to try to learn the language.
I am excited, nervous, and eager to start my next semester abroad!

Tiffany will be studying Business and Spanish at Universidad Carlos III in Madrid, Spain. She hopes to improve her Spanish skills during her time abroad, meet new friends, try a lot of new and exotic foods, travel, and experience different cultures while taking many photos along the way.