Academic Classes

I have officially completed my first week of classes. In the morning from 9am to noon I take beginner Korean. I have two different teachers throughout the three hours I am in the classroom. My first teacher is named Bae Hi Yeon. I can’t tell if she doesn’t know how to speak English or chooses not to because she only speaks Korean. She is with us until 10:45. After a short break we switch teachers. Her name is Han Sun Saengnin. She speaks some English, but talks really fast so it usually sounds like Korean and I can never understand what she’s saying. Overall, I am learning a lot in a short amount of time. Because this past week was our first week we only had three classes, but I have already memorized all of the Korean vowels and consonants. This language class is much different than previous language classes I have taken. I have never had a teacher who is teaching their first language and doesn’t speak English. I think it works in our favor because it only allows us to only hear Korean, but is also a disadvantage because it’s hard to ask a question when we don’t understand something. Even though this is a setback it doesn’t stop us from learning the language and is only a minor problem. Based on the amount of progress I have made this far I am very excited to see how much I’ll learn in the remaining 3 weeks!

In the afternoon I take Leadership Theory and Application from 1pm-4pm. My professor is from Michigan (U.S.A) and is really cool. So far we’ve learned multiple theories about what it takes to be a good leader and have done many self-awareness activities to help us recognize our strengths and weaknesses. After writing this blog I need to work on my midterm project and writing assignment that are both due this week!

Both classes are only Monday-Thursday so I have every Friday off. I love that the school schedules all of the classes like this because it gives us more time to explore Korea on the weekends. Two, three hour-long classes may sound bad, but they are over before you know it. I have taken summer classes before and think that they are much more laid back compared to classes during the fall and spring academic semester. With that said, don’t take a class for an easy A! There is still a lot of studying that needs to be done along with many important assignments.

*Below is a picture of all the characters I had to memorize in three short days (writing, reading, and speaking)!!!

11741807_10204411458672717_1469784139_n

Hi! My name is Andrea and I am currently a junior at SUNY New Paltz. My major is Early Childhood and Childhood Education with a concentration in English. I have always had an interest in traveling so I could not pass up the opportunity to study abroad! I was actually born in Korea, but adopted as a baby so I have never been and don't know too much about the Korean culture. I'm excited to learn as much as I can while having the time of my life!