Czech Please

I aim to be as authentic and original and completely me as possible in these blogs, but I have to start off by saying Prague is amazingly beautiful! It has been three days and I feel like I have done so much:

Prague Astronomical Clock

Day 1- 24.6: I had a personal escort from the airport to the dorm which was pretty sweet. I met fellow peers of the program who had actually been to Prague before, thus they invited me out and we walked into the Old Town. On the walk I saw the Pražský Hrad (Prague Castle), the Karlův most (Charles Bridge), and the Pražský orloj (Prague Astronomical Clock), as well as a gorgeous view of the whole city, red rooftops galore. I was not warned about how hilly Prague is, but at least I can look forward to toning my legs. I walked around this city speechless, wandering behind two friendly strangers and felt as if I had actually jumped into a postcard head first, mouth open. I wasn’t actually here. After 2 hours of walking around and picking up some hygiene supplies, we began the trek back up the hill we came down from earlier. This took 50 minutes, most of which was nearly straight up… Phew, but I made it.

Since I had not slept the entire night prior I decided to nap before our Housing Meeting. IMG_2043Yeah… I accidentally slept through the whole thing, but luckily I awoke in time to go to the Meet and Greet Dinner. I sat with three girls from the National University of Singapore who were very nice. I tried a traditional Czech dish: Vepřo-knedlo-zelo, which translates as pork with sauerkraut and dumplings. It was tasty aside from the fact that I popped out a filling in my tooth trying to floss the pork out. Ha, only me!

Day 2&3  25.6-26.6: These two days were mainly dedicated to getting mentally acclimated to the Czech culture and language. Within these two days, I went through an eight hour survival Czech course, which was very exciting for me since the IMG_1993language barrier was what I was most afraid about when preparing for this experience. On the evening of day 2, we actually went on a river cruise on the Vltava River—the river that goes right down the middle of Prague. The cruise served a delicious dinner and let us get up close with the Charles Bridge; it was a great introduction to the city!

Day 4 would consist of a day trip to Kutná Hora, Czech Republic, which deserves its own blog post entirely. Until then!

Ja'Lisha, a Creative Writing major with a minor in Black Studies, is studying Summer 2015 at Charles University. This is her second study abroad experience, with her first being in Cardiff, Wales in Fall 2013. She is thrilled to have another opportunity to study abroad and this time she plans to document as much of it as possible.