So Much to do and So Much to See

With being so close to the city of Wellington, which is the capital of New Zealand I have been to the city a lot. There is so much to do for me there, and I love it. This is very different with having nothing to do living in a smal town, and having to take a bus just to get to the nearest city when I am at New Paltz. Everything is within walking distance, which is great because there are so many neat opportunities for me. And I am also getting a lot of good exercise for myself with all this walking and climbing these steep stairs.

One of the biggest attractions that Wellington has is Cuba Street, which the best way to describe it as the Times Square of Wellington. On this street is where most of the restaurants are located and where nightlife is the most active. When I go out to the city at night this is the most interesting place to go, because there is so much going on with all of the college students and many of the local people. It is truly a sight to see. In Wellington there are also many museums to see including the Te Papa Museum, which is the national museum, Wellington City Museum, the Parliament Building, and many more. I have not been to all of museums yet, but I am planning on visiting all of them. The museums are very neat because they give a full history of Wellington and New Zealand. This helped get a better understanding of New Zealand, and I had a better idea of why the events that are happening now occur. One of the biggest issues going on in New Zealand is worker’s rights, because there is a change in the government regime people are afraid they will lose their rights as workers. This is shown with how stores are closed on Sundays, and people do not have to work overtime to make extra money because the minimum wage is high. The Cricket World Cup is going on in New Zealand right now, so here is a picture of the countdown!

IMG_0239I have also been to the beach several times and I have been on a hike. The beach is amazing with the nice weather, and it is a total 180 after beingĀ inside for the past few months from the cold weather to being outside in shorts and a t-shirt. I also went on a long hike that was very enjoyable despite being very long. The best thing about the hike was that I got to see the scenery of New Zealand. Looking at the hills and mountains reminded me of the Lord of the Rings movies, which took place in New Zealand, with the background scenery.IMG_0228

A nice picture from my awesome hike!

My name is Ethan Fogg and I am junior who is double majoring in Sociology and Black Studies. I hope to meet and learn more about my Kiwi family in New Zealand, and study race relations in New Zealand too.