Prague Here I Come

It is officially nine minutes past midnight, so technically I am leaving for Prague today. I am wide awake, and wired on way too much caffeinated tea, courtesy of my best friend Kyle, who wanted to take me out for one last goodbye before my trip.  Even now I still do not believe that I will actually be arriving in Prague in about a day and a half. My flight leaves tomorrow evening, and I arrive in the Czech Republic on the afternoon of the 18th. I feel an overwhelming combination of nerves and excitement, coupled with mounting disbelief that this is actually happening. I have been telling people so often about my impending trip, that the words feel like second nature, somewhat rehearsed. I have gone through goodbyes to my family and friends. Did some last minute shopping, packed up my suitcase, and downloaded the latest version of Skype. I have my perfected my patient smile, listening to my family’s last minute concerns, and worries, and fears, trying to be empathetic, but beginning to lose my patience.  Never before have I traveled so far away for such a long amount of time, especially not by myself. It is such an amazing and empowering feeling taking on this sense of independence. I have been thinking about in a continuous loop about how excited I am to be able to learn in such a different environment and culture, and how much value there is attached to it. About the experiences I will have that I will keep with me forever. College is a rare time in a person’s life. Never again will I have this much time for self-exploration and reflection. I am grateful to have been afforded the opportunity to study abroad, and I cannot wait to make the most of my experience. Studying abroad, I believe,gives a person the type of learning experience, beyond the classroom, so unique in nature, and valuable beyond measure. I look forward to continuing my blogging while abroad, and sharing my experiences with all of you.