Universidad de Especialidades Espíritu Santos (UEES)

La UEES is a very nice campus. The campus is breath taking and its student body is pretty small, but with great people. The university was founded in 1993 by a man named Dr. Carlos Ortega Maldonado. It has about 5,000 undergraduate students. Sometimes when I am just hanging out waiting for my class to start, I sit by one of the many fountains and I just feel like I’m in a resort. The Guayaquil airport is only minutes away from the University so planes are flying really close above the campus. It looks as though the planes are going to land on campus.
The University has many majors in which brings a lot of students to the school. There most popular majors are Liberal Arts, Culinary Arts, Business, Communications, Law, and Medicine. On the first day of class it was interesting to see how the student was like. The university is a commuter school and they only have a few on-campus housing only for women. The students at the university are very interesting people. One example would be there style of dressing eg. the medical students ware scrubs and medical jackets, the culinary arts students ware chef uniforms, the liberal arts students have an artsy style, and the communication, business, and law students have the professional style wardrobe. It is very interesting to see how the student body dresses and make it seem as if they are already doctors, laws etc. On my first class of the day, communication theory, I felt a bit out of place. I was dressed very casually, while everyone in my class was dressed very professional.
This semester is going to be a real challenge. I am taking regular major courses all taught in Spanish. My classes are very demanding and there is a lot of work to do. For the first couple of weeks, I was feeling very overwhelmed because even though I speak the language my reading and writing is not up to par. But the professors are very accommodating and are willing to work with me every step of the way. I know that by the end of this academic year, my Spanish will be impeccable.