Protests

I am safe.

With tear gas being thrown about downtown Cairo our biggest concern here seems to be planning what we are doing for the night and where we should go out. As I watch the protests and anti-American/Western demonstrations unfold in the Middle East and Asia it is also interesting to watch the media’s coverage of it. The media seems to cover what happens in Cairo more than any other city as well as link Cairo in to other articles when they are talking about violent attacks in such places as Sanaa, Tunis and Benghazi. Even though there are large powerful protests happening in Cairo they are not of the same violent and widespread nature of some of the other protests which are taking place.

The University itself is secluded from the protests and you would have never had guessed that anything was happening outside of the university walls. Life seems to be going on quite normally here and for the most part, in the greater Cairo area as well.  While things are still developing and evolving at quite a fast pace with the protests, I am definitely more than safe while I sit here reading an article by Max Weber on Islam for my religion in a global world class. No photos to post this time and ill be sure to write soon if there are any further developments concerning the protests.

Alexander, a junior, is double majoring in Sociology and International Relations. He is very excited to study in Cairo and learn more about the culture and language.