The Percée du Vin Jaune

La Percée du Vin Jaune
The 5th and 6th of February, there is a big festival in Arbois, a small village in the Jura region, where Vin Jaune (yellow wine) is produced. I went to this festival on the 6th. The festival was amazing and extraordinary. After arriving, you receive ten tickets for tasting (5 for vin jaune, 1 for macvin, 4 for red, white or crémant (similar to champagne)). I arrived at 9:30am. Starting from noon, you could taste some wines with the tickets. So, until noon, we walked around and we listened to some marching bands. Afterwards, we ate at a pizzeria (as always). Actually, we had not gone to the other pizzeria since the end of January.

Finally, it was time!
The vin jaune has a very distinct taste, but I thought it was delicious. Also, I really liked crémant, and the red and white wines that I tasted. Macvin essentially sucked, it was wayyyy too sweet.

To find the tasting stations, you could walk around the street, enter basements, or enter some stores. We saw a lot of drunk older people, and it was hilarious to watch them. Often, you’d see them walking around giving their extra tickets to younger people. I unfortunately was not so lucky as to be a recipient of such.
At the bottom of this post, there are some photos.

We left around 5pm by train. We had an awesome time!

One of the marching bands

The bathroom (NYC!)

Wine bottle lights

Ô la vache (holy cow).

…bizarre
…still bizarre

– Matt Lipinski

Next ArticleThe Fort Bregille and Chalezeule