Second Day of Classes

Today was the second day of classes and the first day of tutorials. I was a bit terrified with the tutorials. I had very little idea of what to expect or what was going to happen. But it’s basically a more interactive class like back in the States.

I met up with Thomas again; a German guy I met a few days ago who looks strikingly like my French teacher (who was ALSO named Thomas). It’s really cool meeting people from Germany and Norway. But I wish I was meeting more Australians (Chris, if you’re reading this, anything advice?).

The world, and I mean that literally, is getting a whole lot bigger. My perspective of the US is changing. I am seeing a whole new perspective of America; one from the outside. Apple has been used as an example of a successful company in most of my classes so far. I feel proud.

I noticed myself pronounce the word “I” differently today. I’m also using the European spellings of words like “centre” and “globalisation”. And today’s date is 29/7/10 (the day is written first here, then the month). I’m not resisting any of these changes; on the contrary, I welcome them. My only concern is that my reverse culture shock is going to be strong when I return to the US.

Speaking of returning to the US. The job hunt has commenced. Or rather it commenced last Friday when I got my class schedule. I have resumes printed; they do things differently here. Resumé first, then application if you get called. Several have already been distributed and I have other leads to look into. I will update here with many exclamation points when I get a job. Getting a job makes possible me staying here another six months. I have a goal of having a job by the end of next week.

Tonight I talked with Tom (one of the norwegian guys) online. I was typing in Norwegian (with the help of a translation website) and he was typing in English. I’m also attempting to learn a little Norwegian when I have the time through a podcast. If anyone had told me a year ago that I would be attempting to learn Norwegian on my own, I would have laughed at them.

So for now, I’ll say goodbye in Norwegian, Hadebra.

"Three cubic feet of blood and bone": Academic, Apple fanatic, and forever 18.